Suffrage!

Suffrage!
I think this sums up everything!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Roadblock on the way to Equity

Alright everyone, I have had some minor issues with curriculum. Let's say a couple of potholes. The first and foremost being whining. Apparently ALL my students have learned about women's rights and the suffrage movement, yet their scores on the content exam may say something different. I understand that they think what I am teaching is boring, yet at the same time I don't care.

I am passionate about what I am teaching, and I am excited so I feel like they should be too. I feel like all my students should try to engage in what I am teaching them, but it's definitely pulling teeth.

My favorite question thus far has been, "Ms. Cogburn, why do we have to learn about women?" Well young, impressionable student, we are 51% of the population--maybe it would benefit you to learn about them. Why does history and government have to solely be about males? I think that women are a very important and I don't understand why it's so painful for students to learn what teachers are teaching.

Therefore my answer is this, "I am the teacher and I decide what we learn. Ergo, deal with it." I just think that students need to try, no matter what their opinion on the matter is, just try it.

Other than that, my potholes comprise whining about taking notes and whining about writing critical thinking questions. Every now and then I get some minor snags with what is a part of the lesson, like today a fire drill ruined my jigsaw. But who knows? I feel like teaching is a fun challenge, and I never back down from a challenge. I love my students, they are great individuals, but all the little problems really built up this week.

I am feeling drained, but teaching the same thing, three times a day is really hard. At the end of the day everything is so regimented and structured I feel like I want to do something completely different.

Until next time, keep it classy, brassy and a little sassy . . .

1 comment:

  1. Just stay passionate about what you're teaching! I'm actually astonished how many of my students are actually getting into Romeo and Juliet now, and I think it's because I make sure to always display my passion. You go!

    ReplyDelete